HealthNFitness Tips for the parents of asthmatic children when the air quality is poor:
- Run the air conditioner, and don't let your child spend too much time outside.
- If your kids participate in outdoor activities, limit them to the early morning hours and away from high-traffic areas.
- Talk to your child's sports coach about practicing in an indoor, air conditioned environment on very hot days. Send your child to practice with a rescue inhaler, just in case.
- Ensure that your home is well-ventilated, use an air purifier and avoid wood-burning fires inside the home.
- Discuss your child's asthma action plan with the pediatrician.