HealthNFitness Tips: A stress fracture is a common injury of the lower leg and foot, involving overused muscles that become fatigued and are no longer able to protect nearby bones from stress and shock.
Fitness Tips to help prevent stress fractures:
- Gradually increase exercise over time.
- Engage in different types of physical activities that use different muscles.
- Stick to a healthy diet that's rich in calcium and vitamin D.
- Make sure athletic equipment is in good shape, especially your running shoes.
- Always stop exercising and rest if you have any swelling or pain.